Sectional 2d centerlines inspection

---

I have a 2d profile I need to measure the center line intersection points on. I can get most of the center lines by creating 2 lines, then a symmetric line between them. What I do not know how to get is the center line between 2 arcs/circles. What is the proper way to retrieve this data? See attached images for example of what I am looking for. I need the symmetric arc between these 2 arcs (Circle 2 and 4) so it can connect to line 10.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Gom Cross-sectional 1.PNG

Gom Cross-sectional 2.PNG

Hello Chris,

looks like the circles are constructed on a section (lower picture)? You can construct a division curve between lower and upper section:

Snag_4e72d8f.png.734b21a7cf15db6fba9b14604a448ab9.png

BR,
Nanno

Please sign in to view this quote.

Nanno,

Thank you. They are constructed on a curve. Its just 1 section profile I made though, not 2 so I dont know how to pick 2 different sections for curves. If I recall, in older version of the software you can click a checkbox to create separate sections that weren't connected when sectioning but I don't see that anymore. Is there a way to do that still? Or to separate the sections into 2 sections?

Hello Chris,

separating an existing section is not possible. You have to create two individual sections with their own selection.

Regards,
Nanno

Another hint: If you have multiple parts, e.g. for assembly analysis this separation is done for each part automatically.

Regards 

Let me start at beginning and see if I can find out how to do this the proper way. I can't show the parts but I created a part that will convey what I need I think.

I have a cylindrical part, it has a few connected slots that go in various paths around the part. They were designed from a flat pattern that is then wrapped around the cylindrical part and cut out. I need to be able to create a cylindrical section, unroll it, and then create lines, arcs, etc around the edges of the slot. Once I have that, I need to be able to create symmetrical lines to get the centerline of the slots and arcs so I can check dimensions such as in Gom 4 screenshot that's attached. I would prefer to do this properly, by creating everything on the cad model and creating fitting elements so that it will auto extract everything from the loaded scan data as I have several scans to inspect.

Can someone please explain each step? Or even take my cad model and create the basic gom inspect file for me to look at how it was done? I do not have a scan of this part as it was simply a part I created to show as an example.

Thanks in advance.

Gom 3.png

Gom 2.png

Gom 1.png

Gom 4.png

Gom Example.SLDPRT

Hi Chris,

I started with two cylinder based sections, one for each side of the slot by only selecting the according patches in the creation dialog of the section:

Snag_240e0b2c.thumb.png.a35b29c4dc865de38bc0a850fcca9934.png

Then, both sections are unrolled and projected into a plane. I chose the Y plane, you could create one parallel to that like in your drawing:

Snag_2410ed84.thumb.png.9453e07c689ff7671ee159ce0cad6cc1.png

Between the two separate sections, the division curve can be constructed. Fitting elements may be constructed on the sections as well:

Snag_24124a93.thumb.png.e6bbac0700186dd52f13127ff001436e.png

The measuring principle was referenced construction in all elements I created, so you can simply import a new mesh and it will calculate.

Regards,
Nanno