Multi Material Scanning on GOM Metrotom

---

Hello,

I am trying to scan a component with two different materials.  The body (housing) is plastic and there are small pin and spade type metal electrical connectors.  I ran the scan at 120 KV/50W/500ms/1500 positions and the Xray preview looks great.  Great contrast on the plastic and metals, however when the scan is complete, only the metals volumize.  Any idea as to how to get the plastics as well?

Hello Tyler,

it is important that a separation between the individual materials is visible in the histogram, therefore correct scan parameters are required. If metal has to be measured, I would suggest to use a higher voltage (~ 180KV) and a higher exposure time. Also, use a dense pre-filter.

Here is an example of what a histogram might look like for a plastic/metal part:
Histogram1.png.89038e34aa23803cbedff24c14228aef.png

When polygonizing, you have the option to add additional materials manually, as shown in the figure below. If you still have difficulties, feel free to send us a screenshot of your histogram.
Polygonize.png.ec64180ddf1e9fe1e307e2906408cb7d.png

Kind regards

Kevin

Hey Tyler,

In the case where the plastic is completely destroyed around the metal pins, it can be useful to polyganize using "Reliable surfaces only". This will leave gaps in your mesh, but you will still be able to take measurements on surfaces that are reliable. We are often spoiled with watertight meshes, but a mesh with holes are still useful data!

Best,
John Moore

image.png.993e8ae02763aec7752869f2eaab69fe.png