Intersection Cirlce Cylinder/Cone suggestion

---

I could be missing something, but I don't think there is a way to parametrically intersect a Cone with a plane. I think this should be a feature.

Currently, if you use this feature it asks for a cone then asks for a point. So if you select the CAD nominal plane, you are really selecting that point. Doesn't really matter for CAD, but when you apply a measuring principle of 'referenced geometry' it continues to use the CAD point and doesn't parametrically use the actual plane point associated with the CAD plane point.

You would think you can just make a point on the CAD plane centroid pt, then make an actual pt, but there is no measuring principle that allows this.

So you are stuck using a parametric surface point that you create on the CAD nominal and actual, and that point may have it's own vector that isn't representing the plane properly.

It will be real nice to just have a cone/cylinder intersect with a plane feature in my humble opinion.

Thoughts?

Tim I dont entirely follow the difficulty you are having but there is already a function for this .   It can be found under curves - create curve from geometry intersection ( or similar wording).   You can fit a circle to the created curve.

There are no ' plane centroids' , planes are infinite and by definition dont have a centre.  This is a primary reason for no measuring principle to prevent error.

The labels for planes do appear in the 'cemtre' of the constructed visualisation , but the position of this point should not be treated as a point to construct or measure from.

One further hint: intersection of a cone with a plane leads in general to an ellipse. Therefore we offer both options (with a point to ensure that a circle is created) and a curve intersection where you specify afterwards how you like to interpret the result (e.g. fit a circle on the curve).

Please sign in to view this username.

Please sign in to view this username.

Thanks to you both I will have a look at those features. I'm looking for whatever curve, ellipse, spline, whatever is the true intersection of the cone and plane. I'll give the curve a go.

A plane doesn't have a centroid, but a feature does. I was simply communicating when you click the label of the plane it is typically in the center area/ie. centroid. Some CMM software have centroids for planes(ie centroid of the surface not the plane). In this case if you measure plane to plane it measures from both centroids.

Thanks again.