3 point circle

---

Hello all

I am trying to construct 3 point circle with (3 points shown in picture), I am having difficulty making 3 points, if someone can help please. I am attaching picture and mesh. 

Thanks 

GOM.jpg

GOM.stl

Hi Sam,

I would say the best way to achieve this is to create surface points (Construct > Point > Surface Point) manually by clicking on the right place on the actual mesh. Thereafter construct a 3-Point-Circle from these surface points.

Best regards,

Matthias

Hi,

there are several ways how to improve the construction, I like to mention some

• Fit a cylinder on the complete area, may be you can derive a circle at a special height of it
    • The normal of the cylinder could be derived from the plane (if the normal is not stable enough)
  • Create a section and create a fitting circle (may be with projection into the wished plane)
  • If you really like to use only three points, then I would recommend to construct them properly by the surrounding area:
    • Create local fitting planes and compute the intersection for the edge points
      • Intersect two planes to get a line
      • Use the line and the remaining plane for an intersection point
    • For the middle point use construction function 'Theoretical edge point'

Hope this helps?!

Regards,

Bernd

Thanks a lot guys, I tried (Section>Single Section) with Fitting Circle, works well.

I am trying to use (Distance>Outer Disc Caliper), having some issues (The initial alignment is missing or not active. Cannot touch the selected points) as shown in picture, need some help please.

Outer disc caliper.jpg

Hi,

if you have imported or measured data you have to tell the software that your data is already aligned (to nominal data or like your technical specification)  or you have to create a so called 'Initial alignment' to ensure that constructed actual data based on nominal input data (like the ' Plane Z' or coordinate (0 / 0 / 0) has a semantic meaning.
In your case call simply 'Define Original alignment as initial alignment' with the cross besides 'Original alignment' in the upper right corner.

Regards,

Bernd

Thanks, that works.

Now another little issue, I am trying to dimension between two points, I changed units in inches. Its still showing me mm units (as shown in picture), unless I am doing something wrong.

Dimension should be 2.552 inches approx, Its showing me 64.8301 inches (64.8301/25.4)=2.552

Any idea how to solve all this ?

GOM.jpg

Hi,

may be you have made an error during your import (for some imports you must specify how the numbers in the file shall be interpreted) ? A number is usually interpreted in mm (for length).

If you look at the Y scale in the 3d window than you see that your part is modelled nearly for avove 60 inches in Y!

Regards,

Bernd