MESH EXPLORER NAME/STAGE NAME/PROPERTIES NAME

---

Hello, I found an issue that, in my workflow, doesn't seem right.  The mesh name in the explorer window, the mesh name in the properties window, and the stage name are all independent (see attached image).  Is this supposed to be like this?  It makes no sense to me.

STAGE NAME ISSUE.jpg

Hi,

some basic explanations:

• Each object (in the explorer) has one unique name over all stages
    • This means you can't decide the different stages of a mesh with an own name
    • In the scripting engine you have an access via this name to the corresponding object.
  • This name is usually displayed in the explorer and you can modify this name via the properties tab.
    • If you have a project with only one stage (stage explorer is usually invisible for one stage) you can try this and the name in the explorer and in the properties tab is identical.
  • Each stage is also represented within a special explorer (timeline) and has also a unique name. 
  • During the import of a mesh we copy the name of the imported file as stage name to have a better distinction between the different stages. Keep in mind: the name of the mesh object does NOT change

But now it's getting a little bit weird:

• If you have a stage project (with more than one stage) the the explorer does not show anymore the name of the current mesh object.
  • For the CAD or all other objects the object name is also shown in the explorer.
  • The name of the object is still modifiable and the properties tab shows the "correct" object name.
  • In the moment we are investigating why we show in the explorer a different name for the actual portion of the part (only in stage projects).

If we have more information why this behavior was introduced I give you some more explanations on that.

Regards,

Bernd

Hi,

some additional information which clarifies the current behavior: If we have enabled the timeline (due to stages) we show the imported name of the mesh in the explorer, for each stage this could be a different name. If this information is not available we show the unique object name.

This means unfortunately also: You can't change the name in the explorer for display  purposes, it's always the imported name.

Of course you can change the unique object name or the independent stage name but we gave you no possibility to change the imported stage name.

Hope this clarifies the observed behavior?!

Regards,

Bernd

No, this behavior makes no sense to me based on our workflow.  If you want to change the name of the active mesh (stage) in the explorer window, you can't.  You are stuck with the initial mesh name that was imported with.  That does not seem very user friendly.  The explorer mesh name, the stage name, and the properties name should all be linked.