Aramis 5M thickness measurement

---

Dear Support, 

I have one Erichsen measurement result in Aramis 2018. I have tried many options, but I cannot determine the change of the sheet thickness in mm. I also tried the bulg test to get the initial thickness, but the result is not available in mm. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know where the mistake is.

Thank You for Your answer!

Regards, 

Szabolcs Szalai

There is no "Thickness in mm" check available in GOM Correlate/ARAMIS, as we only measure strains on outer surface and have no idea, what happens in thickness direction.

Additionally the thickness estimation from surface strain from the outer layer assuming volume constancy is invalid in small radii. So on an Erichsen measurement this may already have an influence dependent on the tool diameter and sheet thickness.

Anyway: If you really know what you are doing and you have the disclaimer from above in mind, you can create an user defined check using thickness strain and initial thickness.

image.thumb.png.bfa4b81c3a475b6548a6f9082f597f4c.png

image.png.34525b5c493cc653d8c8e23ecd2e4219.png

image.png.9422d1a1599d16379b12a43b47e4c9fa.png

image.png.7ae82e6bc3ea6e4a30c889219f2b5bff.png

When you have the chance to update from ARAMIS 2018 to GOM Correlate/ARAMIS 2020 or higher I really recommend to do it and check a middle layer element instead of the outer layer surface component directly, because this will minimize the error in thickness calculation due to bending on radii. The middle layer element was introduced in GOM Correlate 2020.

image.png.32e03cb51eac5c4cd0c8dd778c5e7219.png

Edit: Looks like Theo beat me to the punch. His advice is completely solid.

Hi Szabolcs,

The change in thickness is calculated as a strain. If you would like to get the change in thickness in mm, or even the new thickness, you can use a User-defined inspection. First, inspect your surface component for Thickness Reduction (Inspect > Check Dimensions > Strains > Check Thickness Reduction). This inspection will be used in your User-defined inspection of the surface component. When creating your User-defined inspection, add two input elements into the "Additional input elements/values" section, then set one to your thickness reduction inspection and change the other from an "Element" type to "Float" type. This float value will be your material's original thickness. You can then define the actual expression to calculate the amount of thinning or the material's new thickness. I've attached some pictures that should be useful for you.

525044704_User-DefinedThinning.thumb.PNG.f8b4ff513ea8f1e9e5fd4deaac67bcad.PNG

1243531905_User-DefinedThickness.thumb.PNG.ad8d16f8b5037de8ed99e25bfc7bc5cc.PNG

Edited