How to put new CAD on the position of the old CAD?

---

Good morning,

to replace a CAD with different position in the system coordinate now I use the single element transformation. My answer is: is there a simplest way to put new CAD on the position of the old CAD? Something like a preallignment between the two CAD (I know Geomagic has this feature).

Thank you very much in advance!

Hi,

in the moment there is only the possibility to use 'Single element transformation', but you can use the 'Prealignment' functionality for this task. Detailed steps are:

• Import the CAD into a new (!) helping part
  • Convert this CAD into actual -> in the new part you have an actual mesh which looks like the new CAD
  • Call 'Single element transformation -> Prealignment'
  • Use the 'actual mesh' of the new part and the CAD from the original part (unfortunately only actual elements are allowed as source mesh and therefore we need this conversion step)
  • Apply the transformation on the new CAD in the helping part (via selecting this element in the explorer)
  • Copy the transformed CAD into the clipboard (Ctrl+C, Ctrl+V)
  • Last but not least:
    • Replace the CAD in the original part with the transformed CAD in the clipboard
    • Delete the helping part

Hope this helps?!

Regards,

Bernd

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have had some time to try and it works great! If I have some other time I think it can be a useful idea to automate the process using a script to do this. But if I can give an advice I think it could be useful to add this feature to GOM to do this in a easier way. Thank you very much!

Hi Marco,

I can record this, but usually it's not a good idea to align a newer version of a CAD with a kind of bestfitting. Usually you like to have more control over it, how the coordinate system is defined in your CAD, e.g. Geometric alignment. The most common workflow is usually: Several coordinate systems are integrated in the CAD file and you can use these coordinate systems for "transforming" the CAD for your purpose.

Regards,

Bernd

• 3 weeks later...