Measure distance of plane

---

I have a mesh that is aligned to my CAD model using surface points and an RPS alignment. My deviation is .0003. I have created auto features on my CAD and applied fitting elements. I also created nominal datum system. I created an auto plane on a planar surface that i would like to measure the average distance back to my nominal datum system. Theoretically the plane is parallel to the zy plane of my nominal datum system 

Question: what is the accepted method(s) used to measure the average x distance of the planar surface from my nominal datum system?  I am looking to report the average distance. I was thinking I could create a bunch of points on the surface and some how report the average x position of those points.

I reported the x coordinate of several points, that lie on my plane. How can I create and report the average value of the points. Do I need to create a User-Defined Check? if so, where can I find syntax to input in the "actual expression cell"

-Thanks

Hi,

it really depends which evaluation you like to see!!! One possible approach could be:

• Restore the point selection of your actual fitting plane on the mesh
  • Call Inspection -> Deviation to geometry
    • As target element you can choose the (actual) plane of your datum system
  • Enable the label for the Surface deviation element: 'Results-Overview'

But again: It depends what you like to visualize and which "construction" steps are necessary  to show the information you like to present.

Hope this helps?!

Regards,

Bernd

• 2 weeks later...

Bernd

Thanks for the response. I ended up creating a USER-DEFINED Check on my Plane. With this I entered my parameters and I created an expression that calculated an average of a few points.

image.png.654a9d1d36533bd734085d82a11b9066.pngimage.png.42cc0a8bf0feaecd150043fbc3d9a07d.png

Hi,

of course, your approach is valid if you are fine with the fact that you restrict your result to some discrete points instead of using "all" measured information.

Kind regards,

Bernd