Photogrammetry Debate

---

Hi All:

We have two different opinions on when to use photogrammetry, so looking for clarification and supporting documentation.

Software Versions: ATOS 2019 and 2020

Cameras: Triple Scan and ATOS 5

A sample of parts to be scanned Doors, Roofs, Front and Rear Floors, and Hoods.

One group says they never use photogrammetry.

The other group uses photogrammetry for all.

Not all of us have formal training so please answer the following questions:

1.       What happens if you do not use photogrammetry?

2.       How does it affect the results?

3.       When would you not need to use photogrammetry?

4.       Is there any documentation or data available to support your response?

Regards

No one from GOM can field these questions?

I understand that they may be basic questions, but I am trying to gather information to provide to others so that they understand the importance of photogrammetry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gerald,

the benefits of a photogrammetry are summed up on our website for our photogrammetry system for automated systems (ATOS Plus 45M: Automated photogrammetry | process safety and reliability (gom.com)):

Please sign in to view this quote.

For measuring a large part only with ATOS, the individual measurements have to overlap. This will introduce a small error for every overlapping measurerment, which is adding up. If this has a practical effect for your specific part/reference points distribution/measurement environment etc. could be tested if you compare measurements with and without photogrammetry.

Regards,
Nanno

Thanks for the response Nanno,

To follow up, in my original post I left out the fact that the systems in question here are manual GOMs using the TRITOP photogrammetry system. One camp here uses photogrammetry for anything larger than the camera measuring volume, while the other camp never uses photogrammetry. The parts we measure manually are generally no bigger than a car door.

Are there any technical papers available that explain the error accumulation?

Very general rule of thumb is anything over twice size of ATOS Mv youll start to see bigger discrepancies with and without.   In my own opinion if you have the system its just easier to use it.   Less reference points are needed , less overlapping measurements are needed , this will make jobs faster and more reliable.