color mesh functionality

---

Hello everyone,

Recently, I discovered  Project Camera Image Contents On Mesh functionality in the software.It is so useful for me in one of my projects which uses measurement images to perform some analysis and then import modified images back to system.Function  creates a color mesh after projecting images. Is there a way to perform segmentation  or selection  on color mesh? I have some colored and marked ares on image and i want to group them in terms of their color.

Finally, which other  functions available to  be used on color mesh?

Many Thanks,

Canset

Hello Canset,

I'm glad to hear that the projection function is useful to you.
Such color meshes are generally used for demo purposes and as digital twins.
We currently don't have color-based segmentation or selection functions on these meshes.
Even after the significant revision of the projection function for 2022, precise colorization for metrology would require far more data than we usually have, including all light sources and material properties, in order to eliminate the effects of shadows, gloss etc.
These color meshes can, however, be used to construct e.g. distances and fitting geometries like any other (uncolored) mesh.

By the way, should you want to export color meshes, use them in another software and possibly reimport them, I suggest the .ply format.

Best regards,
Stefanos

Hello Stefanos,

Thanks for the quick reply. I look forward to see updates on 2022 software because this functionality is so good for 3d visualization.

Thanks,

Canset

• 2 weeks later...

Stefanos, I have a related question on the camera image projection function.

I'm running 2018 software, when I project the camera images onto the mesh, the quality of the projected images appears to be limited by the density of the triangles in the mesh.  Is there anyway to have this work more like 3d video games?  I thought game designers would strive for a low mesh polygon model and then "map" a higher resolution image onto it.  This gave the illusion that the 3d scene was more detailed than it really was.

Is this function different in 2022 software?  I like the idea of digital twins that capture 3d meshes and high resolution image data together.