Trouble with mirroring features

---

I just programmed a symmetrical part with over 50 features on the left side. Using GOM 2021. When I select a feature and mirror it the nominal and actual feature get mirrored but if I restore selection of the nominal it does not highlight anything. Therefore the actual doesn't either.  

Is this normal where I need to refind the surfaces inside each nominal feature? 

Perhaps I shouldn't use the surface picker as my source for autofeatures and instead let the autofeature do it by itself.  I must use the surface picker tool a lot though.

I tried to use the autofeatures and click the surface instead of using the surface feature clicker first and it does not matter. My selection surfaces do not mirror.'

So all my features are getting mirrored, but the selection surfaces inside them are not getting mirrored. This would be a huge time saver for us. Am I doing something wrong or can this mirror feature be improved.  We can use this in PCDMIS very easily on the CMM.

@Tim , from my experience i would expect the behaviour you see.  It is like copying and moving points manually, once you do this the points have lost their parametric link to the surface or indeed anything else.   i agree this would be a great feature but honestly i think this is a fundamental limitation .  I am curious what pcdmis is doing to get this result...

Can you give an example of the end workflow you are expecting? Maybe there is a workaround or different direction.

Complex cases like this are hard to explain or discuss without the project to see , so any images i guess would help.

Please sign in to view this username.

I cannot provide a real example, but I can explain what I am seeing. If you have a symmetrical part with a two opposing flat planes on both extremes, one is at the extreme X- direction and the other is extreme x+ direction. If I create the feature on x-, I should be able to use the geometric X plane to mirror it over and it should be able to flip all the vectors and precise selected feature border vectors and corresponding xyz data points in order to grab the surrounding edges of said surface.

It shouldn't even have to do that precise of a flip...it should be able to act in the same fashion as if you selected Auto-Plane and then Ctrl click anywhere within the plane....it will auto-grab the surrounding edges based on the feature breakpoints of the plane you clicked within. Same for cylinderes, cones, etc. 

But if that cannot be done, I would think it could just manually reverse all the vectors and data points. This is what PCDMIS will do, simply flips everything. It is good practice to 'refind surface' in pcdmis after this, but most likely not necessary.

I think you agree with me the amount of features to create measurements in GOM is rather large, and I understand why, so when we get 100 features on one side it would be amazing if I could even get 50 of them to mirror over. As of now, it is only saving a very small amount of time, and my co-worker will not even use it.

Thanks.

One hint: Parametric mirroring is limited  to System Planes in X, Y, Z
For each other plane only a geometric mirroring is executed.

Please sign in to view this username.

as bernd intimated , if you have points and geometries in my experience they can be mirrored with the software.  I think that the mirror functionality/script is now in a package you can download?

However , these mirrored geometries wont reassociate to surfaces etc in my experience .  If it is a true mirror then it doesnt need reassociation in theory , the actual data selection is driven by measuring principle.   Points and geometries can be in free space and still be connected to actual data for reporting. 

Hope this helps.