Is ABAQUS script still only for exporting shell elements?

---

Hello,

I am writing to ask if the obd2gomxml.py script still only works for exporting shell elements from ABAQUS? Is there another way to export different element types? When I browse through the script this is the impression I get.

V/r,

Austin

odb2gomxml.py

Hi,

yes.

Up to now only the element types mentioned in line 95-143 in the script are supported, as we can only handle outer surface meshes. I am looking forward to implement a simple outer surface extraction algorithm (any face which belongs only to one element is an outer face) but don't find the time to do it.

Which element type are you most looking for? (C3D4, C3D10, C3D8, C3D20?)

Hello,

that would be really great if that were an option! Currently, I am wanting to import C3D10 elements. Since there was no script to do it, I was trying to create a thin membrane on the surface of my part, then export only the membrane, but for some reason the job won't run. It will work on a simple case, but it's having difficulties on mine. If there were a script that bypassed that process entirely, then I would be grateful.

I also have a question about the FEA Import script for Aramis. When I tried to import a simple case, it appears that Aramis is assuming the units of the CAD model. Since I am using SI units, this is resulting in an extremely small CAD model in Aramis. I am thinking Aramis is interpreting the units as millimeters rather than meters. Is there any way to specify the units for the CAD model? And similarly for the nodal displacements that the odb2gomxml script exports?

Thanks!

Austin

Thank you very much!

It worked for me. I was able to use that to convert my solid model into the XML file format. It only took a little bit longer. It was also able to convert a .odb that had both shell and solid elements in it, but I didn't import it into Aramis to see if anything weird showed up.

I still had an issue with the FEA Import script assuming units of mm, but someone from Trilion was able to send me a modified script that converted it to meters. I would recommend a drop-down menu during the import process so that you can choose your units. And handling different types of elements would be cool too.

Thank you again! I've been working on this problem for the past week, even trying to modify the original script myself, but with no luck. The script you provided gave more progress than any other method I tried.

V/r,

Austin

• 1 year later...

Hi Theodor,

Is this script currently working only for displacements when you import the .odb file in GOM correlate or does it allow you to compare other variables too?

I currently have an ABAQUS model with C3D4 and C3D8 elements. However, the results of interest only have C3D4 elements. To validate my FEA model, I will like to use either strains or Von Mises strain (which can also be calculated from abaqus). Could you please orient me on this matter?

Best,

Lino

This script only takes coordinates/displacements into account as this are fundamental/first order results from the FEA and the DIC-measurement and therefore most convenient to compare. To get strain values (even comparison strains like Von Mises) you need some mathematical model behind which will differ between ABAQUS and ARAMIS (e.g. ABAQUS computes 3D-strains inside an element at the Gauss-points (and can inter-/extra-polate these values to the nodes) while ARAMIS computes surface tangential 2D-strains at points from the neighboring points). So any difference of strain values computed in ABAQUS and computed in ARAMIS is an overlay of the difference in the mathematical strain calculation model and the real difference - but they are not separable.

So my recommendation is to use the ABAQUS script as it currently is and import the displacement data into ARAMIS by the "FEA Import" AddOn. Than you can check the measured surface component for any strain value and the imported FEA surface component for the same strain value and compare these strain checks both computed by ARAMIS, because you can be sure the same mathematically strain model is used in both cases.

BTW: There is a new version of the ABAQUS-Script you can download from the Store in ZEISS Quality Suite (which is the place where it will be kept up to date):
image.thumb.png.27dea6c0465147aa6f483ac190d0bd70.png

odb2gomxml.py

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Please sign in to view this quote.

Hi,

• I attached it to my last post right underneath the screenshot. Is the file not provided in your view of this page?
  • As you can see in the screenshot in my last post you can get it from ZEISS Quality Suite in "Store". Search there for "FEA Import". Look in the description of the FEA Import package.
  • The script is provided here Attachments - FEA Import - GOM Platform - GOM Connect, too.