ABACUS FEA Data Import.

---

Hi,

I am using GOM correlate 2021 and I want to do FEA analysis. I am using ABACUS software for FEA but not able to Import the data from ABACUS software that can be use in GOM correlate 2021. I got .odb file but this file  not work when I run the FEA import script in the GOM correlate software . I watched one webinar in that it has shown that we have to run the python script to import the FEA data from the ABACUS software. Please help how I can export the FEA data from ABACUS and use it for FEA comparison in the software.

Hi,

you cannot import the *.odb file from ABAQUS directly into GOM/ZEISS Correlate. There is a python script to be used on the machine where ABAQUS is running in ABAQUS to convert the *.odb-file to a series of *.(g)xml, which can be imported to GOM/ZEISS Correlate by the FEA Import package.

I will attach this python script for ABAQUS to this post.

You can get it from the ZEISS Quality Suite in the Software Store from the description page of the FEA Import package, too.

Or you can download it here: Attachments - FEA Import - GOM Platform - GOM Connect

Please open this python file in a text editor and read the file header to get instructions how to use it in ABAQUS.

When this python script ran in ABAQUS, you can import the generated *.xml files with the FEA Import package, which is available in the package manager in GOM/ZEISS Correlate following the workflow shown in the webinar.
image.thumb.png.98f306a6d446eb8bb25e3f79351f9549.png

odb2gomxml.py

Hi,

Thanks for the reply!

but I'm not able to export *.(g)xml file from *.odb file using the .py script that you have shared. Attaching the picture of message from Abaqus command. I'm using the shell elements (S4) for this simulation.

image.thumb.jpeg.004679c093017d8785e1531d831b13f6.jpeg

This is strange. In the script file in line 134 "S4" elements are implemented. I am not sure if it is possible to disable areas from output (to be not written into the *.odb file) or if you have to enable them first in the step module in the field output request editor.

To get an idea, which element types the script accesses, you can manipulate it as shown in the attached snapshot (which will print a line for every element, which may take a while...), run it again and check the output if the S4 elements really show up. As the detection of element types is case sensitive in the script, this may cause some trouble if ABAQUS changed the element types to lower case (s4). Which version of ABAQUS are you using?

image.png.b5f1ff0313a01aeb487c222316936dbf.png

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I have no access to ABAQUS 2020. But I tested with both 2019 and 2022 and it did work quite well (see attached screenshot). I will attach my sample *.inp-file with S4 elements. Did you request the output for the whole model (see attached other screenshot)?

abaqus_s4-test_result.png

abaqus_s4-test_export.png

Job-1.inp

• 3 months later...
---

Hello Theodor, I've downloaded the script and attempted to use it on a single element .odb using C3D8 solid elements I had laying around.  It appears that there are no options to proceed using the surface component option. Can you confirm that this script is only capable to handle shell element types?

Screenshot 2024-05-09 122908.png