Volume changes

---

Hello! I have to superimpose two dental stl models (initial vs final) and measure the volume changes on a certain area of them. Does someone know how to select an area of the model and measure the volume changes?

Thank you all!

Hello Carmen,

you could select a mesh region and construct a surface -> smoothed surface from mesh (No modification). This element can be inspected for volume. It will only work with a mesh element, not with a CAD body but I assume both STLs are measured data. If you have a "real" CAD with patches, you could construct a patch compound on the CAD and assign the measuring principle fitting element. For a direct comparison it may be helpful to define a user defined check which returns something like Volume mesh A - Volume mesh B.

To select the same area on both meshes you could try a selection method under edit -> selection in 3D -> other. When checking a geometry with holes, the software will close them automatically during the check. It works well for small holes or holes on a plane but may lead to some errors with other surfaces.

Regards,

Nanno

• 1 year later...

Hello!
I would like to measure the volume of a specific ROI in the upper jaw between a reference scan and consecutive scans at different time points. As I would like to create "stages" for every time point I am interested in selecting this ROI on the CAD file.

1. I am looking for something like "surface curve " for volume measurement. Surface curve works perfectly If I select the first scan as CAD body and all subsequent scans as mesh however I would need a similar tool for volume measurement.

2. Is there a difference in volume measurement between "copy selected points" of my specific ROI +measure volume or if I use " construct a surface -> smoothed surface from mesh (No modification)". I thought the latter would close the ROI (it's a cavity) on the other side to calculate the volume. However, I would like to have the reference scan (CAD) as restriction of the cavity on the other side.   

Kind regards

Marc