ARGUS Thickness reduction on both side of the Panel has different thickness reuduction value.

---

Hi, 

I am using ARGUS system for forming Analysis. I do the  electro chemical etching on both side of the sheet metal panel and do the analysis . I can understand that the strain value will be diferrent on both side because of tensile and compresive force on different side. But thickness reduction value must be the same on the both side. Is there any other method for checking the thickness reduction  on the sheet metal so that the value of thickness reduction should be the same on both side.

Hi Lalitesh,
we measure strains on each surface. Therefrom we calculate a plain strain tensor on each surface. From this you get major and minor strain on each surface. The thicknessstrain can then be derived (by assuming volume constancy) from these two values on both sides independently. Therefor it is normal, that thicknessreductions (= - thicknessstrain) will differ on the upper (strain) and lower (compression) side. But maybe you are interested in the strains in the neutral phase?! You can create that via "Operations - Components - Surface Component Middle Layer".
Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...