"Sensor is moving" error

---

Brand new ATOS Q 12M unit here. Just got it a couple months ago. We are constantly seeing a "The sensor is moving" error message flickering on the screen as we try to take shots. The sensor stand is bolted to a table. See picture below. Everything is tight. We've tried dampening the system by placing rubber pads under both the tabletop, as well as under the legs of the table.  No change.

Are there any recommendations how to solve this problem? 

I don't know exactly WHEN we first noticed this happening. Like I said, we've only had the unit a few months. It didn't seem to happen while our instructor from Capture 3D was here for a week training us. There were 4 of us standing/sitting around the table, each taking turns calibrating and measuring. None of us recall running into major issues like we're seeing now.

As a vibration check, we've tried placing a cup of water on the table.  After it settles down, we don't really see any ripples in the cup (think Jurassic Park). Maybe we see the slightest of movement. We argue amongst ourselves if it's really movement we're seeing or not.  That's how slight it is.

Are there software settings that can be manipulated to relieve this problem? Are there professional grade vibration dampening pads anyone can suggest? We're kind of at our wits' end here. We don't know what changed since our instructor left that would cause this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

ATOS Q scanner 12M Rev B.jpg

Hello Michael,

which measuring volume is installed? With a small MV the movement can be hard to see (if at all) because the movement is measured in pixel. Please try to move the sensor close to the base of the "tripod". Is there something around, which could cause the movement like a press, forklifts etc? Are the reference points fixed properly on the object? And do you start the measurement with the mouse on the table? Maybe try to hold it in your hand when pressing the button.

The threshold for the movement can be changed in the acquisition parameters in the scanning template, but this should not be the solution. Which movement does the software show you, if you open the table with the measurements?

Snag_218992.thumb.png.781d8224f64df18c0156810d134afa00.png

Regards,

Nanno

Nanno,

Thank you for the quick reply.  That was actually an old picture I sent. A couple weeks old, from when we first started having problems (the ref point acquisition problem, described in another post). Since then, we have moved the sensor closer to the tripod stand, hoping that would solve the issue.  It didn't. . See newer picture attached.

The MV is a 170MV. Like I said in my other post, we've been scanning a long time. We're pretty confident everything is set up correctly. But ... who knows?

As far as forklifts, presses, etc. Nothing in the immediate vicinity.  We have a de-humidifer in the room that emits a constant hum/low level vibration. We turned that off. No change. And like I said, we tried putting a cup of water on the table, and we're arguing over whether there is actual movement visible in the water or not. If there's movement, it's EXTREMELY slight. Can the sensor be THAT sensitive?

I will get a screenshot of the parameters shortly.  Thanks.

ATOS Q 12M - Copy.jpg

Hello,

you have to edit the scanning template. It's the first button in the blue bar in the digitize workspace. After you have chosen any template you can click the button again and then the edit symbol next to the chosen scanning template:

Snag_52a69f6.png.ac8d6081d2237236d090158ed46bf516.png

Hello,

you could increase the movement check threshold to be able to scan. Then there is the measured value for the movement in the properties of the measurement. Maybe it's only slightly above the 0.2 pixels. 

I guess you already checked the screws and lenses? 

If this doesn't help please contact capture3D to make sure the sensor is alright.

Regards,

Nanno

Thanks. Something strange is going on. I just checked my Scanning settings again, and now the movement threshold is set to .10 pixels. I reset it to .2 and the "Sensor is Moving" error seems to have gone away.

As a matter of fact, nearly EVERY setting in the "Scan Point Computation" dialog is different than when I initially posted. I don't understand the software well enough to know why this might have happened. I'm suspecting that may have been the problem all along?

Hello Michael,

the settings are stored in the scanning template and you must chose a template before measuring. The chosen template is saved in a project template, maybe you loaded an older project or scanning template?

Regards,

Nanno