How to perform local alignment to a slot

---

Hello,

I am inspecting a part in automotive coordinates with ATOS 2018 in an automated scanbox. 

The alignment hierarchy for this part is:

1) Best Fit By Reference Points

2) RPS

We need to do a 2D size measurement on an irregular shaped slot. This slot is not square to the automotive coordinate system. How do I perform a local alignment to transform the trihedron to the slot edges without disturbing our previous RPS dependencies/results. 

Thanks!

Edited

Hello Brad,

could you create a local best fit for this slot? Select the area around the slot and chose "locals best fit" under the plus sign on the top right. When the data is aligned create the element and make sure to apply "alignment required" in the element properties under the general tab. You have to select the actual element for this. The software will then set the local best fit active and create the element. 

Regards,

Nanno

Hi,

are you really sure, that you need an alignment? You can answer this question if you would really need to inspect a different position of the actual data to your nominal data.

If you only need to interpret the current position to a different coordinate system, you should use a different local coordinate system in your check, but this is only a guess!

Regards,

Bernd

I am trying to evaluate 2D size, not location. Its an irregular shaped slot so I cannot construct a feature for it. 

I am trying to square up my coordinate system to the slot edges to ensure the 2D distances will be correct. 

Edited

Hello,

as Bernd suggested you could create a local coordinate system and use this for your checks of the slot. The directions of the local coordinate system can be defined by the slot edges, using fitting lines to define X and Y and use the plane for Z for example. For something like the width of the slot you don't need an extra coordinate system. Could you post a picture of the slot and which features of it you want to evaluate?

Regards, 

Nanno