Algorithm behind initial alignment (prealignment)

---

Hi there, 

im am currently using GOM Inspect for a study that compares STL-files of different 3D printed dental models to the STL-file of a "master model".
The "surface comparison on CAD" function seems to work fine for this, however I struggle with the following two questions:

1. What is the algorithm behind the initial alignment options? Using prealignment or a combination with 3-Point Alignment seems to be a good solution for aligning my two models, but how does that actally work? From OpenSource software like CloudCompare or MeshLab I know that it is calculated with Hausdorff distances. The 3D printed models are copies of the master model, is there a better way to align them? I am trying to determine the deviations across the entire arch.

2. What is the maximum deviation that I can observe in surface comparison on CAD? Looking at the two test models below, I found that the maximum positive deviation observed stops at + 1 mm. I dont expect to have such high deviations, it will be more likely in a range of + / - 0,1 mm but still - can I somehow change setting so that deviations > 1 mm are also included in my "HeatMap"? The second image shows that the "palate spike" I added in the copy-model for testing the surface comparison against CAD (master model) is in fact much higher than 1 mm. 

Thank you! 

GOM_Report.thumb.PNG.b3e3653cf87cf8d8a62a568e3c32935a.PNG

GOM_Testmodell.thumb.PNG.bfcc5e8c86a59570f40a5b5020fa23f4.PNG

Hi,

regarding 1: A Local-bestfit tries to minimize the Gaussian deviation (squared deviation) from the points of the actual mesh to the surface of the CAD model. A Prealignment additionally usually don't need a a rough start position and "guesses" an initial registration.

regarding 2: Try to deactive Collect local deviation peaks. Usually this is the reason for artifacts. For more information read the online help. 

Regards,

Bernd Alpers

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Ich habe ebenfalls Probleme mit der Vorausrichtung:  da mein CAD-Modell und Netz an einigen Stellen zu hohe Abweichungen/ Informationsverluste hat, kann eine initiale Vorausrichtung nicht berechnet werden (Transformation nicht möglich). Ziel ist es nun, Flächen auf dem CAD-Modell und korrespondierend auf dem Netz zu markieren/selektieren, in denen kein/nur geringer Informationsverlust vorhanden ist, und über diese Flächen eine Ausrichtung vorzunehmen. Können Sie mir  weiterhelfen, welche Tools ich zur Ausrichtung/Registrierung anhand von vorher selektierten Flächen ich bei der Software verwenden könnte?

Vielen Dank!

Edited

Hallo,

wenn die 'Vorausrichtung' nicht funktioniert, dann hat man mehrere Möglichkeiten:

1. Längere Suchzeit und/oder einen korrespondierenden Hilfspunkt verwenden
  2. Man kann auch einen PatchCompound von seinem CAD bauen, wo man nur Patches selektiert, die man für bestimmte Operationen braucht. Dieser konstruierte PatchCompound kann dann bei der "Vorausrichtung" anstelle des CADs verwendet werden
  3. Oder man verwendet eine komplett andere Ausrichtestrategie, z.B.: '3-Punkt Ausrichtung' und darauf aufbauend 'Lokaler Bestfit'

Ich hoffe, dass hilft weiter?

MfG,

Bernd Alpers

• 2 weeks later...

Hallo,

Danke für die zügige Antwort. Längere Suchzeit und ein korrespondierender Hilfspunkt führen leider nicht zum gewünschten Ergebnis. Bzgl. Punkt 2 hätte ich noch ein paar Fragen. Mit dem lokalen Bestfit versuche ich nun weiter zu kommen.

Gibt es irgendeine Möglichkeit Sie via Mail oder telefonisch zu kontaktieren?

Vielen Dank im Voraus!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Marcel Seeßle

Hallo,

wenn sie einen gültigen Supportvertrag haben, dann können sie sich gerne an support@gom.com wenden oder sich telefonisch melden. Diesen Weg sollten sie auch auf jeden Fall nutzen, um sensible Daten auszutauschen bzw. bereit zu stellen, z.B. ein Beispielprojekt.

MfG,

Bernd Alpers