How to export a .ginspect file to solid .step

---

Hello, is it possible to export a .ginspect file to solid .step not surface with gom inspect software.

If it's not possible have you a good tips, a free software .....

I work on Inventor by autodesk.

Thank you for your help

Hi,

.step is usually a CAD format and therefore you must convert the measured triangle meshes to parametrical surface descriptions (e.g. B-Rep or Nurbs-Patches). This is usually done with a reverse engineering software, e.g ZRE or Polyworks. I'm quite not sure but I guess that all of these software packages have only commercial versions.

Regards,

Bernd

Hi there,

Autodesk Fusion 360 has a feature to calculate a STEP from a STL file.

It works "okay" but you should not expect a real usable STEP, with things like cylinders or anything like this. Also there is a "free" Version for Makers...

There is also a plugin available for Inventor called "Mesh to Solid" that can convert an STL. Really suitable but only for very low polygon objects with at the same time high requirements for RAM and CPU.

Regards

Jörg

• 4 months later...

Is anyone aware of a step-by-step instruction for turning mesh to STEP or IGES in ZRE?  I am trying to get there with the very sparse walk-through provided with the software, but am having no luck with desired end result.