Computer upgrade?

---

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried upgrading or replacing the computer that came along with their scanbox.  I'm finding that the processing time for some of my scans is super prohibitive (30+ minutes) and considering the price of the machine I don't think it would be hard for me to justify a super badass custom PC build (AMD Epyc type deal).  I just don't want to spend the $7k+ on something if I have no idea if it would work or help.

Anyone tried this?

Thanks,

Connor

Connor , this topic is quite tricky .   

there are 2 main angles it will probably not help.

1.  You will be responsible for the PC ...no one will guarantee it will work.  Which pc do you have currently?

2. The speed or power hunger of gom projects is not anything easy to understand . 

For pont 2.   Where in your process do you see it is slow?  I would assume during the recomputation rather than polygonisation? 

Do you run kiosk mode?

Have you tried splitting the project so you just have a scanning routine , then have an inspection routine?  Could run throughall meshes in a batch.

Hi Bro.

I also have a CT scan with dell workstation and GOM volume.

Is it possible to seperate two workstation?  We really need it to improve the efficiency and make sure the workstation healthy.

One for scan only and another for analyze the data. The sales tell me can't beccause only have one dongle

If you only have one dongle , then i agree your options are more limited.

• During the day just complete scans.  Set up batch processes to run over night
  • Batch process during day .  Remove dongle, transfer files, batch process.

I dont know your exact situation tsai...but im afraid i doubt that you can reach your expectations with one pc.   I am aware of some special ct setups where there is like a server bank of 6 pcs to deal with the task it has to do ( hundreds of small parts every scan )  . 

ya....it is hardly to complete in the one PC. I  am searching the know how to seperate the work to two PC.

one pc for Scan and re-con and one pc for analyze the file (manually)

there is no getting around needing another licence to do this.  I understand thats not the answer you are after , but its best to be led by the technical answer and work out with the sales team the options.  Honestly i would guess the recon needs to be separated with the analysis to maximise capture time.

• 2 weeks later...

Please sign in to view this quote.

Hey James, my apologies for the late response, I must have my notification settings jacked up!

We've currently got the Dell Precision 7820 workstation that Zeiss provided for us.

For the speed problem what I'm running into is a straight up inability to process surface profiles.  We make 3D printed rocket components so our geometries are super crazy and our file sizes wind up pretty huge due to the detail required.  We call out overall profile on every one of our printed parts and while I can approximate the overall profile with a colormap, it's not quite right.  When I attempt to apply a fitting element to the overall profile the computer will just process for upwards of 18 hours and not come up with a solution.  I'm not sure if that's an inherent limitation in the software or if a better computer would help that, but I figure it wouldn't hurt.

We also run into huge amounts of time during the recomputation of our projects.  I'd say that about 50% of my programming time is taken up watching the computer process the data.

We do not run Kiosk mode and we haven't really tried splitting the projects because that wouldn't be super beneficial for us.  We're very low volume compared to what the scanbox is designed for, but we're also super high mix.  For instance I've probably run duplicate parts on our scanbox half a dozen times since we've gotten it, but I've programmed over 40 unique parts.  Due to this it wouldn't be very helpful to parallelize the software since I don't have another part that needs to be scanned!

• 3 months later...