Inspection of Line profile in Planar section for multiple features

---

Hello GOM team,

i am strugling in inspecting a rotor with multiple blades for Line profile. Drawing calls for a Line profile of all blades in planar section to Plane/Axis datum system.

I am albe to inspect such a callout by cylindrical section line profile (all blades are included in cylindrical section)

But i would like to have my sections to be planar - this can be done individually only. Is there a way how to merge all blade sections together as a one feature (just like cylindrical section of all blades) to inspect those as a pattern in Plane/Axis Datum system?

Really appreciate your effort!

GOM FAN

Dusan

Hey Dusan,

Just to give me more clarity on your question: You take the cylinder section because you want to give the individual (plane) sections (R approx. const.) as a global composite into the profile analysis (and its position correction)? If I am honest, I have not yet had this requirement myself. Maybe you can share more information with on this.

If my assessment is wrong and you can do without the global linking of the planar sections, I can describe a quite efficient way for the task.
For the time being, you only approach one section of the first blade based on a plane. There we have the customised function 'Shape and Position' for airfoil profiles. With this function you can carry out the form analysis very well and at the same time evaluate the translation of your actual section. Once you have done all this on one section, a 'Custom Inspection Principle' (UDIP) helps you to duplicate this inspection on other sections of the same airfoil. Eg choose the plane as parent for the creation of the UDIP and run it on the remaining planes of airfoil #1.
But now comes the question of the other blades (2 .. n). We have put together a special package for this from the SW2020 onwards. With the help of this package, you can automatically integrate each of the blades as a new stage in the project. In a manner of speaking, a copy of the respective blade/vane/airfoil is rotated to 12 o'clock (the position of airfoil #1) and stored as a new stage.
With this approach, you should have a fairly lean inspection project for a large number of blades with a fairly low generation effort.

I hope this helps. If my answer missed your question, please let me know.

Jens

Thank you for quick reply. 

I am not allowed to share a DWG directly, so i tried to put some sketch together to demonstrate what i would need to inspect.

Attached picture is showing planar section (BLUE) of one individual blade, in specific DIA where this section requires the inspection of Line profile. Lets say i have 25 blades and i need to inspect Line profile of all 25 blades in this planar sections as a pattern/group in full datum SYSTEM ABC.

The easy way is to construct a cylinder (GREEN sections) based section on the same DIA as the plane must be located - section through scan - select all and compare NOMINAL section with ACTUAL. This is good - but i would need to replace that cylindrical section by planar (but for all 25 blades).

Can imagine capturing the blade planar data by CMM - keeping all points of 25 blades and compare these with CAD nominal geometry in ABC

IMG_1848.jpeg

Dusan, would it be a possibility to share the inspection drawing/definition and the project through our support team with us?

The reason for asking, we had an internal discussion on your request and would need some more details.

Looking forward, Jens

Is there a contact email where i can sent the file? Sharing it directly to Froum is not a good option - if you dont mind.

Thank you 

Dusan

Please contact our support team via support@gom.com. Please mention in your mail this forum discussion and the wish from Jens Scharfenstein for additional data to allow our colleagues at the support team to forward your data to him.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

i have found the way! 

Lets create a planar section of one vane/blade and inspect it relative to GLOBAL CS. 

Prior that, run ABC alignment and then use Best-Fit alignment based on ABC alignment, select all the vanes and allow the rotation along the B axis. You will have planar sections of all vanes (cluster rotation required) and all of those will be in the ABrot alignment (instead of locking by C).

Any feedbac for this approach?

Dusan