How to align scanned meshes when targets are around the part

---

Hi!

It's my first time scanning a small part so I wasn't able to set the targets on the part... But now I have a problem when trying to align the meshes.

I have some doubts that I hope the Zeiss community can help me with:

1) How can I align them when obviously the targets are not coincident because i flipped the part to scan both sides? I tried by ctrl+click on almost the same spots on the part and I couldn't do it.

download link for the file: https://www.mediafire.com/file/yxrh7v2bqc6i3ow/CYLINDER_TORNO.ginspect/file

2) If i save the project and close the GOM software, then re open it... where can i reach the tool to align them as the scanner is not connected and i don't have tool in the project guide workflow ? Can meshes only be aligned as soon as i finish scanning them?

image.thumb.png.2fa33bb98a78aa428fe0c962aca32299.png

3) I tried to put the targets on the part (even though i know its a really small part and a cylinder), but i got error from the software/scanner... is this normal? Because since the update to Zeiss inspect 2023, my whole zeiss quality suit has been not working properly.

image.png.a8d1e2d0dcc96d95197d479c4ad28641.pngimage.png.05897c67a5fb26bea0ad1e19dd4686af.png

Thanks in advance!

Quick update:

So i saw in YouTube that people scan both sides as separate files, export the .SRL mesh and then use the alignment tool..

I can only get this error when drag and dropping the meshes into the software...

Can someone help me? 

image.thumb.png.66662b79ebd7e048f7fe9b1791721f19.pngI get 

Hi Luis,

you need at least three reference points on the part, which are scanned in both measurement series. Here is the techguide article:
ZEISS Quality Tech Guide

The alignment of two parts will not give you a single polygonized mesh. (I think you added the imported mesh to the existing part instead of adding it to a new one, which results in the error). 

Nanno

Please sign in to view this quote.

Hi Nanno.

Thanks for you answer.

The hard part is that I have a cylinder, and I'm pretty sure I should not put any reference point along the curve, should I? 

Also, I tried according to that guide the best-fit surface, but I have some trouble:

First i check both meshes are in the same project after doing the scan other side:

image.thumb.png.1215b62d5332b5766077d314ea8cf97c.png

Then I go to the transform measurement series and select best surface-fit: I have a problem because both meshes move by itself and does not move in the correct way. I was thinking in clicking in a common part so the software tries to force the alignment in the points i click, but once i call the best surface option, the meshes moves and I can not click because they are one on top of another

image.thumb.png.7abfa82e8446273666e46b0fb872bad1.png

image.thumb.png.034dc34e4c3bcc97b3170f860dfb824e.png

image.thumb.png.1d5b8d4671101ff7801ddd180249bff1.png

Hi Luis,

the radius is large enough to put reference points on there. It's not perfect but should not be a problem. An alternative would be a reference point frame around the part (it must not move relative to the frame). The surface fit will transform via common surfaces on both measurement series. You can define points (on the surface, not referenece points) in the expert parameters but I recommend sticking reference points on the part.
Nanno