How to detect and compare deviation of two 3D objects by overlaying them?

---

I have two dcm files (DVT Scan), one of which gives the reference value and the other is to be compared with it. Now I would like to compare them regarding their deviation of a certain part (dental implant). Is there a way to determine the axis of this implant and, above all, to place the second file on top of it in order to then determine the deviation of this axis from the target axis? And if something like this is possible, do I need a different file format?

I am very grateful for helpful answers and tips!

Hello Anna,

the files can be imported and to create a volume, which is then polygonized to get two meshes. You can define one mesh as nominal and the other one as actual and align them with a prealignment for example (There is a "get started" in the training center).

The implant's axis may be derived by a cone or some other element on nominal and actual to compare them. Maybe a local coordinate system can be constructed for each, which can be checked for rotations etc.

Nanno

Hi Nanno,

great, thank you very much for your answer! Since I am completely new to this kind of software, could you please further tell me which software surface I should use for it? I think dcm files could only be opened with the ZEISS Inspect X-Ray, am I right? I am very thankful for your help!

Anna 

Hi Anna,

creating a volume from DCM files must be done in X-Ray. When the volume is polygonized into a mesh, the mesh can be imported to Inspect Optical 3D. For the volume creation from raw data the professional version is needed.

Nanno