how to break a mesh into separate meshes for each disjoint patch?

---

Suppose I have a mesh that is composed of several disjoint patches.  Is there anyway to break this mesh into its pieces?  And have it be replaced with one mesh for each of the original disjoint patches?

---

Hi,

quite not sure what you want to achieve, but may be the following hints are helpful for you:

1. If your mesh is topologically separated into multiple patches, this means there is no connecting triangle structure between your patches, you can use 'Select patch' to select one portion of your actual mesh
  2. With the functionality 'Copy selected points' you can create a single mesh exactly from your patch.
  3. Deselect all and continue with step 1 until you have all of your patches "converted" into single mesh objects

Hope this helps?!

Regards,

Bernd

---
Posted (edited)

Hi Bernd,

Yeah, that is what I want to achieve.  I was just wondering if there is anything in the newer software versions that will automatically shatter a mesh into its topologically separate pieces.  I use a script for this now, but it takes some time to run if there are 100s and 100s of pieces.

Edited

---

Hi,

quite unusual for our measuring system to create so many different patches. Therefore we usually don't need such a functionality. May be you should contact your local ZEISS partner to give more insight why you run into this data constellation.

Regards,

Bernd

---

In one scan there is not 100's.  But I'll batch process several dozen at a time.  Each of these might have a few dozen patches.

I'm scanning a bunch of un-fixtured samples randomly scattered on a table with one measurement series.  Polygonize.  Then disentangle and separate the resulting single mesh into separate meshes, one for each sample.  A script currently handles this well, but I'm always looking to improve things.