3D coordinates conversion to 2D

---

Hi,

I am fairly new to GOM correlate. I am doing a biomechanical fracture study, where we used reference marks on both sides of the fracture.  The aim is to calculate the displacement of the fracture. I am only interested in the displacement in XY-plane and not in all XYZ.   Is it possible to do an conversion from 3D to 2D in GOM correlate?  Can i somehow find the common rotation axis?

The plan right now is to export the XYZ coordinates to excel and then do the post-processing in another software. 

Thanks!

Hi Huda,

there are different ways to convert 3D coordinates into a 2D coordinate. For example create them as a projection point onto the plane you like to inspect or exporting the image series and only import the series from one of the two cameras. 

But i would recommend to stay in the 3D volume because you will generate mistakes while inspecting only in 2D. Check the webinar for types of mistakes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGXuXg7dRlo

You can check all of the displacement in the directions you like to. If you are only interested in the displacement in X and Y-direction inspect only this displacements with the GOM Correlate. The results you will receive, is the X or Y proportion of the displacement of your component based on the alignment of your project.

I hope these are the results you like to receive. 

Greetings, Ivan

Hi Ivan,
Yes, that does make sense. I will try to do the data processing in GOM correlate.
The reason why I don't want the Z-direction is that i corresponds to the depth of the fracture - which I am not interested in for now.
I decided to create a local coordinate system in GOM correlate and then project the points onto the XY-plane:

1. Created a local coordinate system through 3-2-1 alignment 
2. Create points on the reference markers
3. Construct distance between the desired points and I chose XY-direction on my coordinate system. 
Is this the right workflow? or is there a more accurate/efficient way to do this? 
I find it hard to find tutorials and manuals for working with point components and not surface components. 

Again, thank you for the help ?

BR, 
Huda

coordinate2.PNG

coordinate1.PNG