GD&T roundness not possible for circle

---

I applied a GD&T roundness check to my cone. This was succesfully done, see figure in attachment.

However, When trying to do the same for a circle constructed from this cone, the software mentions "this gd&t tolerance cannot be applied to all selected elements."
I create the circle using 'Construct Intersection Cylinder/Cone'.

It is not clear to me when GD&T roundness can be applied to a circle and when it cannot.

Schermafbeelding 2021-12-09 163551.png

Edited
(updated figure)

This creation command creates a purely geometric circle, which cannot be checked with GD&T tolerances (and is perfectly round by definition).

You need a circle that is defined on a "real" section of the mesh of the cone with a plane:

- define a section plane, e.g. from the cone axis and a point

- Restore the selection of the cone (right click the cone and choose "Restore Point Selection")

-Call command Construct->Section->Single Section.. and choose the defined section plane

-Create a fitting circle on the resulting section and check it for roundness

(If you start in the nominal, you will have to apply the appropriate measuring principles.)

Hi Christian,

Thank you for your reply. That worked indeed.

However, you mentioned that the creation command ' Construct Intersection Cylinder/Cone' creates a purely 'geometric circle'. But when later on actual data is applied, I assumed the constructed actual circle should be allowed a circularity check.

Anyway, I was able to circumvent that problem following your steps. Much appreciated!

Kind regards
Jeroen

• 1 year later...

Hello Christian,

I encountered a similar problem with GOM software. I need to create a plane by using two holes and one plane(with using perpendicular plane function) and after it is created all GD&T checks for the created plane  disappeared. I solved the problem with creating the plane as nominal and creating an actual section by using that . Finally using  section data with fitting plane function,  I can activate all GD&T checks.I thought the reason of the problem could be same but still want to ask you again.

Thanks,

Canset